The Joy of Cooking Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Most people love pumpkin pie. I definitely do. Here is my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. It has served me well for the past few years.
The recipe calls for making your pie crust first. Pie crust is one of the few things I just have no patience for. I buy mine frozen.
- 2 – 3 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin (see bottom notes for preparing pumpkin)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk or heavy cream (if you want to use sweetened condensed milk, just cut out the white sugar)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375º.
Whisk eggs thoroughly. 3 eggs will give the pie a custard-like texture. 2 will bring out the pumpkin flavor and give a more firm texture.
Whisk in remaining ingredients. Pour into a 9″ pie crust. Bake 35 – 45 minutes or until pie is firm. Cool completely on the rack. The pie can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Serve cold or at room temp.
- This is the first year I have made this recipe with evaporated milk. I have had VERY positive responses from people after using the sweetened condensed milk. The pie I made tonight will be going to my son’s kindergarten class, so I hope they like it. It sure does smell good.
- My pie crust of choice is Marie Callender’s. It tastes perfect and I have had very little trouble with broken crusts.
- Two ways of preparing fresh pumpkin (my preferred way is #1):
- Preheat oven to about 350/375. Cut pumpkin in half, scoop out innards, and place cut sides down on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes or until meaty party is soft. Scoop out meat and use.
- Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out innards. Cut pumpkin into cubes and boil for about 30 minutes. Meat will come right off the skin.